Thursday, December 16, 2010

Happy RINGiversary!!

It's been ONE month since Richard proposed and as everyone predicted... time is FLYING by!

I thought what better way to celebrate than to share the story of our ring.

On October 9th we boarded the FREEDOM Carnival. We were going on our first cruise. The ports of call... San Juan, St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola and Nassau. It was time to relax and enjoy the fresh salty air. We spent the first two days exploring the ship. On day 3 we docked in Puerto Rico. It was a short visit, but we made the best of the humidity and rain. On day 4 we docked in St. Thomas. We had 2 goals that day... shop and drink VooDoo juice. After 8 hours of wandering the marketing we made it to VooDoo juice, which we both needed given the afternoon we had.

We needed to celebrate, because we were unofficially and secretly engaged.

To quickly rewind on Monday (Day 3) Richard and I attended a diamond seminar with Melanie (ironic) the gemologist on the boat. We learned all about cut, colour, clarity and carat while sipping champagne. We also learned the best places to shop... mainly St. Thomas, but more specifically Diamonds International.

On the morning of October 12th (also a Tuesday) we left the ship hoping we would come back with something sparkly.

We took a cab over to the shopping district and started browsing. We started at Tanaznite International, sister to Diamonds International. Where I found a stunning 4-karat rock. We learned about negotiating... from $7000 to $2600. Then continued on to Diamonds International. The store was FULL of our fellow ship mates. Everyone was eager to see the available stock.

We met with Hilary (that wasn't her name, but I can't remember and that seems fitting). She showed us a few rocks. Just in case you're not familiar with shopping in the islands. Everything is separate. You select your diamond and then your setting. Then they put it together for you. She first pulled out a nearly flawless, ideal colour 1.46 karat diamond. It was stunning and over $12,000. We asked for something a little more realistic. She then showed us a .33 karat diamond. I am not a snob, but it was small.

The main problem is my choice... I wanted a cushion cut diamond. I fell in love with the story and wanted something original. Cushion Cut is the original diamond cut. It looks best in candle light and is rarely made anymore. It is vintage and unique. It is also hard as hell to find.

Hilary showed us all they had and nothing caught my attention like I thought it would. She said there were more at their other location (down the street) and if we could come back later she would have them here for us. So we left DI empty handed and continued down the strip.

After a incredibly hot and sweaty afternoon we still hadn't found my diamond. We had agreed if nothing was special we would leave with nothing. We needed to find my diamond.

We went back to DI in hopes Hilary had found my perfect stone. She hadn't. In fact, she had completely doubted our return. She smiled when she saw us and offered us beer. We excepted as she took off down the street to find our diamond (at their other location). After what felt like hours Hilary returned with a little white box.

She pulled out a beautiful .66 karat cushion cut diamond... my diamond. I think I fell in love with it right away. She handed me the loop and my hands shook as I held it up to my eye. There are no visible inclusion... a term meaning 'you can't see any flaws'. I knew this was my diamond, but had to wait for Richard to fall in love with it as well.

We spent a lot of time just staring at it. We even took it outside for a test drive in the Caribbean sun. Then finally he asked... 'is this your diamond?' with tears in my eyes I said 'yes.' He looked at Hilary and said 'We'll take it.'

After signing all the paperwork with Hilary

Picking my RING up from Melanie.


We had it set in a solitaire, also know as a Tiffany setting. It arrived later that day... Hilary sent it to the boat so I wouldn't have to carry it around... not that I didn't want to.


My RING back in our cabin.

So Tuesday October 12th Richard asked and I accepted.

Now the secret. I wasn't allowed to see the ring, touch the ring or wear the ring until he proposed. He wanted to get down on one knee and make it everything I ever imagined. I had to be patient. I am not a patient person, but it was worth every second of waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment