Thursday, March 1, 2012

Bustier!

Ok... this is a little TMI, but its my blog and this is a HUGE experience for me. What is it? Buying a bra for the wedding day. Seems simple and quick... wrong. I have spent 3 weeks trying to find a bustier to wear under my wedding dress on the big day. I am not into fashion. I, by no means, understand under garments... sizing, fabrics or 'lines'. All I knew was I needed something that made me feel good about my shape and would be comfortable under my dress.

I have extra curves, that's no secret, but I wanted all of that hidden on my big day. I don't want to worry about the girls running a muck... ceremony, dinner table or dance floor, when I bust a move I want to break it without a wardrobe malfunction. That is a lot to ask of these fabrics, but its one day and I want it to be close to perfect.

I am rambling, but trying to get you into my head space. I met with Susan a few weeks ago, we picked a fabric... remember. She then informed me that on my next visit, I could see my dress. MY. ACTUAL. DRESS. I have never been big into weddings, but I can't wait to see my freaking dress. Susan and I have been talking about it for 7 months. The thought of actually seeing it is overwhelming. Granted it won't be finished, lined or have support, but the outline is there and I get to put it on... the most expensive article of clothing I have ever bought!!

Now back to the headache; trying to find a good bra/bustier. First, I couldn't go to my regular bra shop (ie. LaSenza) because I needed something better, more supportive and properly fit. I decided to call a client of mine (who shall remain nameless) and book an appointment. They squeezed me in Friday afternoon. I walked into my appointment nervous and apprehensive. I hate being naked, my body is a work in progress and I have no idea what I need. The sales woman was pleasant enough. She ushered me into a fitting room and measured my chest informing me I am/was a 36 E. Which is insane, but fine... I have never been to a fitting before and this is a high end boutique. She starts by putting me into a bra to assess my size. It feels alright, but looks terrible. It is tight around my ribs and parts of me are oozing out. She assures me it is meant to fit like that and that it is a great bra. I want to cry at my body, but power through. She than offers me a bustier after a long argument about not needing a bustier and that a strapless would be fine. (Side note: I want a bustier NOT a strapless). I clamp this thing on my torso and start to cry. It cuts in, hurts my sides and makes my breast sit up too high. They look awkward and all I can think is I don't want to look like this on my wedding day.

She opens the curtain and starts poking at me, claiming its not quite my size. I tell her, through tears, I don't want to look like this on my wedding day. She says I still have time to work on it. She then says maybe I need to bring the dress in to see what it will look like... really? Its Chicken and the Egg all over again... I can't see the dress until I find the bra, but I can't buy the bra until I have the dress. Fast Forward: she insists I try on a strapless bra. It's worse than the bustier; it has created terrible lines and it is NOT comfortable. She tried to get me into a tummy band, which would only create more lines and more reasons to sweat on a hot July day. I refuse and change back into my clothes. She suggests we order another bustier (or 2) in my size and sends me on my way. She tells me they will be in by the end of next week.

Two weeks pass and I still haven't heard from her. Remember I am on pins and needles anxious to see my dress. I call and am informed that the bustier could take up to a month to be delivered. WTF?

I decide to look at other options... afraid to make a mistake, nervous about reliving that experience. Honestly I cried the entire way home.

So yesterday I Google 'Linegerie - Burlington, ON' (because it always searches Vermont *eye roll*) and The Black Pearl pops up with an email address. I shoot out a quick note. 'Hi, I'm looking for a Bustier. I'm on a tight timeline. Can you help?'  In less than an hour I am introduced to Barbara, the shop owner (and possibly the nicest woman I have met on my wedding planning journey). She tells me about several options and offers to order them for me, because again my size is hard to find. Barbara gives me a real time line (less than 2 days) and offers a bit of advice on brands. I reply as quick as I can with a 'thank you'. We start to email back and forth and finally, I am feeling good about shopping for a bustier. After the fourth email I decide to detour after work to the Black Pearl to try on some things and get this process started (again). 

I felt instantly at ease when I walked in the store. Barbara was happy to see me and we got to work, with a simple touch she knew my size. We talked about my dress; I even showed her pictures of the inspiration for me dress to give her a full perspective. We determined by size was actually 38C, which is why things were pouring over when I was in the 36E. 

I scooted into the change room and slipped on a bra to check sizing (this is when we learned I wasn't an E, but a C cup). After I was secure Barbara joined me in the change room and adjusted everything to make it fit perfectly. I was smiling, because it fit and didn't ooze. She than offered me a bustier, by the same maker as Kate Middletons (I am practically one of the royals). I slipped it on and she did me up. It fit. It fit and I didn't look like a lump of flesh... I had curves and cleavage. It smoothed out my lines and hugged the right places. It was perfect and I felt good about it. Barbara helped me with adjustment and offered lots of advice about proper placement. I tried a few 'wedding dresses' to see the shape and structure of the bustier. It really makes things look good. Eeeeee. 

We had time so I tried on a few more bras, including a strapless; that we both agreed wasn't right for me. I learned a lot, she even took the time to explaining sizing to me. I spent an hour and half in the little shopping talking about the wedding, the honeymoon and a bunch of other girlie things. 

As if the experience wasn't completely amazing Barbara offered to 'loan' me the bustier so I could see my dress and make a well educated decision. How amazing is that?!? I couldn't wait and ended up buying the bustier last night, but the gesture was amazing.

On top of saving my wedding day... Barbara made me feel SO much better about my dress, my day and my body.

I highly reccomend visiting the Black Pearl Lingerie shop in Burlington. The products are georgous and the service is amazing. They carry everything from bustiers to panties, swimwear to sleepwear.

I can't wait to see my dress... next Friday is the big day!

Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment