Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Round Three.

Monday (I couldn't write this yesterday. I was too upset and didn't have a final conclusion. Sadly, today I do.)

I drove to work in a daze, still tired from last night with the MCs (totally worth it). I got to work and checked my email, than my gmail. That's when it happen. Delta ruined my wedding. I had an email waiting for me... a confirmation that they had cancelled and rescheduled my flight (The only flight going into St. Lucia (from any airline) that week). There was no added cost (for the flight), but the timing was terrible. I started to cry. My brain is just overwhelmed lately and this, I couldn't handle.

Richard and I have to leave our wedding reception to make our flight.

Now the full story... We WERE booked with Delta to fly out July 2nd at 6pm. That left us in Atlanta for a night (which we booked a room at the Hilton and were looking forward to the downtime post wedding) and than a second flight on July 3rd, to St. Lucia. We were set to arrive at 2:30p at which Sandals would pick us up and drive us to the resort; where we would be well rested and ready to honeymoon. I booked the flight separate from the resort, because the price was better and after three travel agents failed to help me, I did it ALL by myself. We were booked at Sandals La Toc in the Emerald Isle suite, with the honeymoon package for 6 nights and 7 glorious days.



Now had I had a competent travel agent they would have advised me it was the 'rainy' season and that it would be best to wait and leave on the Saturday after the wedding, because it is slow season (ie. Rainy season) there are no direct flights and no daily flights. We had found the only flight flying mid week and booked it.

What happen on Monday was Delta changing the flight to 6am July 2nd with no layover in Atlanta and a July 2nd arrival in St. Lucia. Sounds good... an extra night in St. Lucia (about $600, but we'll get to that). Now a 6am flight means I need to be at the airport (an hour from my home) at 3:30a (ish). Which would mean I should be leaving for the airport, ready to travel, at 2:30a (ish). My wedding reception is scheduled until 2a and is another 35minutes from my home (and hour and half from the airport). Whewf... are you with me?

That means (with out sleep, shower or sex) I could leave my reception at 2 and make it on time, but we all know a bride needs time to work her way out of the dress, make-up and hairspray. So now we're leaving the reception early, without sleep we're heading to the airport for 12hours of travel.

Yes, that sucks and yes, I am upset about not getting to stay till the bitter end and not relaxing during the reception; which instead I will be watching the clock.

It also means that everything we had planned for the following day, including a brunch with all of our out of town guest (some flying in from England) was cancelled, our honeymoon suite for our wedding night is cancelled and the extras we had to do before running away including packing, going to the bank. returning the rentals, opening gifts and picking up the car ALL can't happen.

So I am upset. I call Delta they offer nothing but an 'Oops, Sorry'. I spend hours on the phone crying asking for an alternative and they decline... not even a bump up to first class to say 'Sorry we screwed up your wedding'.

In the mean time we are arriving in St. Lucia a full 24-hours early with no where to stay. Delta WON'T help us find a place or help us pay for a place. So I call Sandals at which point Sandals (at no fault in this situation) let's me know what they are booked solid and we can't simply extend our stay and jump in our room a night early. And that they also don't book rooms per night, which means I can't stay in a room for one night while I wait for my room to be ready (its a lot of room shifting, but I'm stuck)... my only option is to book another room for the entire duration of our stay. Adding a night is about $600... upgrading our suite in order to HAVE a room is $1000. I get off the phone more worked up than before, having no idea what to do.

Richard calls and tells me that what ever the cost his parents will cover it, just work it out. I call Sandals back and speak to the most amazing woman ever, in a thick Jamaican accent she tells me to calm down and that she will fix this. She comes back with the same offer as before (above) but gives me ALL the details. The above room (which is an upgrade in size) does not include a balcony (like our original booking) and leaves us further from the ocean, pool and restaurants. She tells me there is room in a different room, but it is another step up (now 2 from our original room)... this room includes a FULL balcony over looking the ocean, just steps from the beach, a jacuzzi tub and champagne on arrival. It is $1400 to upgrade (which I do). She promises to make our Honeymoon magic and tells me not to worry, before confirming the honeymoon package is included (which includes a rose pedal turn down and breakfast in bed).


So... we have an extra night in St. Lucia, in what looks like an incredible room. We're going to be exhausted, but its all worked out. Yes, we have to leave early and travel for 12hours on no sleep with an airline that willingly ruined my reception and didn't care.

Whewf. I feel better about everything today... I am still disappointed that our first night as husband and wife will be spent in an airport, but happy to be doing it all with my best friend.

Who's a big gooey dork?? Me!

Love!

Ps - Delta SUCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment